Thursday, April 18, 2013

Blog post #3


April 14th, 2013
Today has been a tough one. We have spent the morning at the lodge, and the girls are now separated, A is napping & Tabby is having quiet time. The sibling rivalry & trouble with sharing starts the moment they wake up now. They are waking up much earlier here than Tabby ever did at home, so I am unable to have any moments to myself before facing the long day ahead. That is really hard for me. At home, I wake up an hour and half before Tabby so that I can have quiet time, coffee, & shower before greeting her happily. Here there is clamoring before I even open my eyes.

A’s desire to have everything Tabby has, and everything the other children in the house have, is frustrating to me. I have read about this with children who are adopted at a slightly older age, and I know that it is normal. But it is still unpleasant to have given someone so much so quickly, and still have them constantly ask for more. I know that it is a matter of A being overwhelmed with plenty after having so little. But to give so much & still have two small people constantly asking for more is tiresome. The resounding phrase from A around here is, “And for me! Me I want this!” I look forward to a day when they can share! (Said every mother everywhere.)

We had fun swimming this morning, braving the cold water and splashing around. A was very proud of her ability to swim; Tabby just loves being near a pool. This afternoon, we are heading to the zoo in Durban. A’s favorite animal is a zebra (she says it with a short e—zebbra), but she has never seen a real live one.


 Pool Time!

These monkeys run wild at the zoo...



1 comment: